To encourage proper use of woods tools, training others in Totin’ Chip skills, and creating a simple outdoor project using acquired woods tool skills.
Who Can Earn This Award?
Earned by Scouts BSA members.
How To Get the Award
Purchase the award at the Scout shop.
Supply Item Description & Uniform Placement
Ax shaped cloth patch; black ax with red border; used to decorate equipment.
Supply/BIN Item Number
Paul Bunyan Woodsman emblem, No. 98.
Paul Bunyan Woodsman Requirements
Study the Scouts BSA Handbook and the Camping merit badge pamphlet, and demonstrate to your Scoutmaster or other qualified person the following:
- Show that you have earned the Totin’ Chip.
- Help a Scout or patrol earn the Totin’ Chip, and demonstrate to him (them) the value of proper woods-tools use on a troop camping trip.
- With official approval and supervision, do one of the following:
- Clear trails or fire lanes for two hours.
- Trim a downed tree, cut into four-foot lengths, and stack; make a brush with branches.
- Build a natural retaining wall or irrigation way to aid in a planned conservation effort.